• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M101

Started by Jim, Apr 21, 2013, 10:28:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

Just got hold of a Williams Optics Reducer IV and was keen to try it out last night. Quite pleased with it although it took some fiddling to get the CCD to lens distance right. I calculate it turns my Meade 127 from f7.5 to f5.5

CLS CCD filter
Unguided
180secs x 20
QSI 583 binned 2x2
Processed in Maxim

M101 by jim_mehta, on Flickr

mickw

Very nice Jim
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

That looks promising Jim from Orpington, just wondering why the last few images you have posted have been unguided.

Carole

Jim

Hi Carole, I have an encoder on the mount that keeps the tracking accurate so provided I do a good polar align I can get away with 3 min subs unguided. I made a mistake on my calculations though, the reducer is taking me down to f6.2 (not f5.5!) Still worthwhile though.

MarkS

That's a great image Jim.  The arms of M101 are notoriously faint and difficult to image but you have succeeded well there.

I think the background ia just a tad too black for my liking.  However the stars are nice and sharp though with possibly a very slight elongation vertically.  The focal reducer seems to be working well.

Nice one!

Mark

JohnP

Looking very good Jim for unguided image - as Mark says background is too black. Nice wide field & like the galaxy bottom left... Nice - John

Fay

well done jim. galaxy with moon around as well
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Jim

Thanks. Yes agree about the background, I have a tendency to over do it. First time I've tried 2 x 2 binning and quite pleased with it. Considering the seeing conditions in Orpington at 1 x1 I'm doing 1.41 arcsec/pixel which is really oversampling. At 2 x 2 it's 2.82 arcsec/pixel which is more appropriate and coupled with a wider field and the CLS filter hopefully means I can do some more targets at home.