• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Observing Evening - Tuesday 12th March 2013

Started by Mike, Mar 11, 2013, 15:32:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Just a reminder that we have an Observing Session tomorrow. Meet at the Change of Horses pub, Farnborough High Street, BR6 7BB from 19:15 and we will then move onto the field to set up (weather permitting). Alternatively just come straight to the field (weather permitting we will be there).

If anyone doesn't want to come to the pub but wants to come join us at the field then please do so. If you want my mobile number to check if we are up there yet or not then send me a Private Message on here and I will send it to you. Otherwise just go to the pub first, see if we are there or not and then go up to the field.

See you there!

Mike
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

Just a reminder about this tonight. Fingers crossed; it looks like we may have a clear night.

If so, wrap up warm!
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

Well before the Observing Session started I spent about an hour in a field near Cudham trying to spot the comet. However, clouds in exactly the spot where the comet was obscured the view. In the end I gave up and made my way up to the pub.

We had 8 people turn up tonight including two new guys. Although it cleared up for a while in the middle of the night it didn't last long. So, needless to say we stayed in the pub instead.

RobertM

I thought the comet was too close to the sun ?  I couldn't see it in Malta with clear skies so I'm not sure you had much hope from here.

Robert

Mike

It's 10° above the sun at sunset and only hits the horizon at 7.30. So If you had a view down to the horizon and a clear sky you could see it.

Mac

Just had a look outside, well on and off from 18:30,
Crystal clear right down to the horizon,
Couldn't see the comet, as the Horizon is obscured by trees and hills.

Fantastic Crescent moon though.

Will probably star to see it in about 5-6 days, by then it should have risen high enough and it should also be dark enough.

Mac.

RobertM

Quote from: Mike on Mar 13, 2013, 18:22:33
It's 10° above the sun at sunset and only hits the horizon at 7.30. So If you had a view down to the horizon and a clear sky you could see it.

I took a few images so I'll check and see whether anything came out; there was certainly nothing visible with the naked eye.

RobertM

Just checked and apart from a few hot pixels absolutely nothing  :(

MarkS

Quote from: RobertM
Just checked and apart from a few hot pixels absolutely nothing  :(

You should have gone to the Canaries instead:
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap130314.html