• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M42/ IC434 in a Hurricane

Started by Fay, Jan 31, 2013, 15:39:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Well not enough subs & clouds rolled in and prevented better quality short exposures for M42. i was happy that i finally got something, this winter!! A good bit of practice. i dont know how I got this much as the wind was really strong all the time.

May reprocess, shame I did not work on copies, will have to start again...............

QSI, ha7nm, Leitz180 mm @ F4. 9x900 & 3x600.

This is a re process I think M42 is better

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Really nice Fay, the QSI + Leitz combo really does work well
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

RobertM

Nice round stars edge to edge and well processed.  Yes it could do with more subs but I don't know many images that wouldn't benefit from that.  You could try putting a mask over the front of the lens to stop those aperture blades from showing on the brighter stars but you may prefer them that way.

Robert

MarkS

That's come out really well Fay.  A great field of view and really sharp.  You can't beat Orion!

Fay

thanks very much. i was surprised that I saved anything last night.

Also using the thinner front plate I had made for the qsi, the focus was nowhere near where it is using the original plate. that is infinity & that is that, no choice!

I am surprised if focus is ok, Robert, i cant even see whats on the selves in Tesco now, without glasses!!!!!!!

RobertM

Well serves you right for eating Tescos burgers  :lol:

Fay

Not me Robert, i am a bit particular with my meat!

PS

I have replaced above image with a new one, where M42 looks better

mickw

QuoteI have replaced above image with a new one, where M42 looks better

How do you know, you've got dodgy eyes  :roll:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

JohnP

Looks good Fay - A nice wide field putting the two objects into perspective. You have also caught a surprising amount of the thin wispy stuff between the two (assuming this wasn't from a neighbours bonfire) - Anyway really nice image.

john

Fay

Thankyou. i do plan on getting more. Orion is quite south now, so hope to get a good night (ha ha ha) again quick

Fay

Mick, I know i have dodgy eyes because I cant see!!!!

Carole

Very nice Fay as stated a nice amount of internebula dust showing up.  It would be interesting to see this combined with you coloured widefield.

Carole

Fay

Thanks Carole, yes did have a fleeting moment regarding colour. I had enough trouble remembering how to do M42 bright spots.