• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

First Light - Les Granges

Started by Jim, Feb 20, 2012, 12:45:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

Well thought I'd post my first image. Did this Sat night, TEK 140, EM200, my QSI. 22 x 10min subs. There is a funny gradient which I cannot identify but I'm thrilled with the detail. Probably my processing. I did a further 4 hours last night of colour and had just finished the red channel at 3pm when I realised the scope had done a meridian flip on startup and the image was reversed and missing one of the galaxies! Duh!! I should have stayed off the whisky. Going to try the Ioptron with a 102ED Altair tonight.

M66 - Leo Triplet by jim_mehta, on Flickr

JohnP

kin' hell Jim that is unbelievable - didn't know you had a QSI - so much detail in the galaxies - fantastic.  John

Jim

Thanks John, yes I've had the QSI 2 years now but have always struggled to guide with the Vixen Sphinx so have never had a chance to use it to it's full potential. I've decided to bit the bullet and get a new mount now as it's not worth wasting anymore effort on the sphinx. It's main problem is that it has no bearings on the Dec shaft, just a close fitting sleeve so at some point in the imaging you always get a shift leaving you with double stars.

Mike

That is a fantastic image Jim. I can't wait to see the colour version.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

That's a great image Jim, you must be well chuffed with that !  Good to see you using the QSI in anger again as well.  What a difference a dark sky makes.  The colour should really bring it alive, just be careful with processing - Chris will give you a few good pointers.

More or less whiskey - tricky question  :lol:
Robert

Fay

That is super, Jim!!! i can see why you are well pleased

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Jim,

Such a great image.  As you say, the detail is superb.  You've captured some really faint arms on M65.

Needs a bit of colour, though ;-)

Hope you get some clear wind-less nights for the rest of your stay.

Mark

julian

That's a great image Jim.

Julian

Tony G

Excellent image Jim, and I'd stay on the whiskey as it seems to be working.  ;)
Keep them coming.

Tony G

PS.............You don't have any lens caps do you??????
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

PhilB

"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein