• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Badly Framed NGC7000 from Kelling Heath

Started by MarkS, Apr 18, 2010, 21:58:35

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Took this this morning (Sunday 18 April) with NGC7000 still a bit too low in the sky before dawn.  Very badly framed - I did a "goto NGC 7000" and then started to image without thinking.

21 x 5min, modified Canon EOS 350D on Takahashi Epsilon 180ED at ISO 800. Astronomik CLS and IR filters.

The CCD alignment is the best I've achieved to date (though still not perfect).  Guiding was also working very well.

I think this is the first image that give an indication of what the Canon/Tak combination might be capable of.

Full sized version here:
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/webdisk/ngc7000_17042010.jpg

Mark

Fay

THings are really looking good Mark, shame about the alignment but I should think you are pleased to see that you are very nearly there.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Mark - Badly framed or not it looks great - the colurs are fantastic & you seem to have sorted out your 'squareness problems'... well done.

Out of interest why is it that stars of a certain size appear square is it just the diffraction caused by the secondary spider?

Great shot though,  John

RobertM

I'd agreed with John and I especially like the way you've processed the colours.

Well done.

Robert

Mac

Rocket Pooch

MarkS

Thanks everyone for your comments on this image.  I was certainly very pleased with it.  It's an object I'm going to return to and get the framing right next time!

Quote from: JohnP
Out of interest why is it that stars of a certain size appear square is it just the diffraction caused by the secondary spider?

Yes it's odd, isn't it.  I don't really know the answer to that yet.  I'm sure it's something to do with the spikes.