• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Expl. Del.! Why haven't I done this before????

Started by Daniel, Aug 26, 2009, 22:09:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Just had a play on the way home, using a single colour channel as a luminance for a colour image and was stunned by the results. I had a go at the M16 I took a while back and found the red channel was a lot less noisy and far more detailed than the other 2. I then copied the red channel and converted the image into a Lab colour image and pasted the red channel into the luminance. The contrast and smoothness was so much better, that said, It had that salmon pink colour that many LRGB images have, but tests showed I could get rid of that with curves.

Anyway, I shall post something once I've finished processing, but I'm going to try using this on a lot of my past images to see what I can pull out of them!

Daniel
:O)

RobertM

Daniel, The downside of that method is that the channel you use for the luminance will be enhanced more than the others.  You may be better adding all the channels together to create the luminance channel, that way the colour balance would be maintained.

Daniel

I was looking into the Rob Gendler technique for that, though wouldn't work for me since my red is also my luminance. my only problem with using all channels as my luminance is that i'd pick up far more noise in the green and blue channels.

Ian

we don't have a profanity filter on here coz we're all grown ups. However, I personally prefer to keep the front page as inoffensive as possible.

Carry on...