• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Scope Bottom heavy

Started by Fay, Mar 04, 2011, 15:28:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Fay,

What I did with mine was to get another set of tube rings, put them the other way around with the same difference at the other end, obviously this means at the new out of balance ends I had to balance the both to keep it all working. 

I did toy for a while about getting another QSI583M and ED80 and putting it the around the other way around on a Gemini bar to ensure it was all in balance, anyway the origional version worked well, and was approx £3k cheaper that the latter solution.

Chris

Fay

can't picture that Chris, if you have a photo

Not sure I will get anything tonight, as I have spent hours trying to figure out the auto filter bit & not sure I have got it right. Also hope it downloads quickish when focusing
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

PhilB

Ooops, I'm having trouble picturing it too. My earlier post is upside down!! The scope is bottom heavy so the dovetail projection needs to be towards the focuser so you can move the telescope objective further away from the mount. Sorry  :oops:
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Rocket Pooch

Fay,

I was joking, I never have had the thing in balance, its too light to worry about.

The camera will do 2 second downloads, will take a little getting used to, but its good enough for focusing.

Chris

Fay

seen a picture of scope on long dove tail, with rings right at the top end, this looks good idea.

But, I will have to piggyback when using WOZS66 & QSI

Chris, I found that it was not bad to focus with Nebulosity, before changing over to AA. in AA the rectangled star did not even show in the focus box

Mac

Can you not just slide the dovetail forward??
to balance, rather then move the scope in the rings?

Mac.

Fay

I have ordered a longer dovetail, then I can put the rings further up

Fay

Balance ok now.

Bought a longer dovetail, moved the rings, but it was still bottom heavy, thought I had wasted my money, so moved the dovetail so the screw underneath was the other side of the dual bar instead of before it. Moved the WO back a bit & it was ok.

It went on for a while, as I am not logical & could not figure out what I was supposed to be doing.............John is the logical one, so I had to call upon him. We had to have one brain in gear!     

RobertM

So are you no longer bottom heavy or is there still a problem?

Fay

My bottom is lightweight now! :lol: