• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Sh2-171 in Cepheus

Started by RobertM, Oct 11, 2008, 16:56:41

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

This took this over a couple of days due to cloud and needing sleep.  This is the first time I think I've got to grips with Luminance layering but still some way to go... wip !

Capture details:

Nebula Sh2-171 in Cepheus.

Date: 2-4/10/2008 (Ha) and 8/10/2008 (RGB)
Camera: Starlight-Xpress SXV-H9
Filter: Astronomik 13nm Ha
Subs: 30 x 10min (Ha) + 6 x 5min (each RGB)
Scope: Takahashi Sky90@f/4.5 guided by ED80 + Atik16ic on a Takahashi NJP mount

Ha image

Full res: http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10031/Sh2-171_doublesize_bias_DDP_p1.jpg

Ha + HaRGB

Full Res: http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10031/Sh2-171-HaHaRGB_doublesize_p2.jpg

(Changed full-size img tags to url tags - Rick)

Fay

Robert, very nice, & a change of subject.

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Hi Robert looks good & like Fay says an unusual subject. I prefer the monochrome. The colour looks too saturated... I like the bit in the middle on the full size image... great..

John

Rocket Pooch

Daniel

Fantastic Image, definitely going to have to haave a go at this myself, the bottom right bit looks like a skull! :cheesy:

RobertM

John, point taken, it's a bit too red, I'll try and tone it down a bit.

Daniel, either a skull or a bigger Pacman - they certainly have intriguing shapes these nebulae !

JohnP

I must admit I thought Pacman when I first saw it..... :-) Great shot though... very interesting.. John

MarkS

Excellent image with an unusual subject.  The monochrome one is great  but the colour one has saturated some of the detail out.  It is well worth some re-processing.

Mark

RobertM

Ok, I've reprocessed, hopefully getting some more balance with the luminance detail and getting rid of some of the internal reflections around the stars.   It's nowhere near perfect but I've tried this about six times now so have really done it to death.   Ha is luminance, Ha+R is Red + Green + Blue ( 5 hrs Ha + 35 mins each RGB).  I'm really enjoying these nebulae at the moment, I just love the detail.

Mac

Love the detail,
cant wait to get mine up and running.

Daniel

Oooh, that's lovely, and you've retained the star colours really well

JohnP

Robert - The reprocess is fanatastic - you've retained all the deail in the Ha & got excellent colour balance - the stars are great.

John

MarkS

That looks really good Robert.  As everyone says, the detail is excellent.

Rocket Pooch

Fay

Lovely Robert, you did earn it with the five + hours! 
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!