• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Possible future event in dark skies

Started by Carole, Apr 29, 2008, 13:39:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Further to previous Post.

Who would be interested in principle at having a week camping or B&B for those who don't like to camp in Northumberland near the Kielder Observatory, see Rick's link:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/7366394.stm

Lovely scenery for day time, new area to explore, plus the darkest skies in England.

I will leave this poll running indefinitely as it is unlikley to be planned for some time.

Hope I've posted this right as never done a poll before. 

Carole

Carole

OK, I nearly got it right, but it seems you can only vote once, so I'll have to do the transport poll separately, see new post.

Carole

Rick

It is possible to allow folks more than one vote, but this is really three separate questions, so three polls makes more sense.

RobertM

There is one dark site that's nearer and has accomodation on site and space for CamperVans (Chris) or Happy Campers (Fay) ... Kelling Heath in Norfolk, it's the site for the bi-yearly star parties ...

Details can be found off this site http://www.starparty.org/

Sorry to throw this in after all the work that's beed done but it is only 3-4 hours away and would be more likely to be cloud free being more south eastern.

Nearly forgot to say that power is laid on.

Robert

Mike

OK Cris and I are going camping near Kielder (not got a site yet) from 13th to 28th September if anyone wants to join us.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Thanks for the info on Kelling Heath, I'll canvas opinion on that too.
Maybe those who have already voted on Kielder could post comments on which they would prefer and then I put up another poll.

Carole

Tony G

Soon there will be more polls on this site than on any building site i've been on. :lol:

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Delphine

Hi Carole

I have just come back from Northumberland is absolutely beautiful with lots to do and I want to go back.  BUT for our purposes it is very cold, very cloudy, a very long journey and no dark skies at all in summer!  In other words I am cooling off from the idea of an OAS trip there.

Kelling Heath sounds like a better idea.

Cheers
Delphine

Sue

Delphine, glad to hear you enjoyed your trip to the north east despite the cold.

Carole, I must say I would prefer Norfolk -logistically much easier for me as I know Roy would come to share driving and help with the tent due to proximity of the North Norfolk railway to Kelling  ;)

Carole

OK, we'll discuss it at committee meeting. 

We could still do it for the stalwarts who want to go to Kielder even if we do the Kelling Heath one as the official OAS trip.

Carole

Mike

I'd be potentially up for either.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

There haven't been any more posts on this for a while, is anything progressing behind the scenes ?

Carole

Needs to be discussed at the next committee meeting (I was unable to be at the last one).  I think I said I would keep it running for a while because I would not be organising it until some way ahead. 

Mike is going to the camp in Kielder in September so I am hoping he will suss it out, and then I might be thinking about organising it for some time in 2009 depending on what the committee have to say.

Carole

RobertM

Thanks Carole, I just wanted to know so I could make alternative arrangements if necessary