• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Meade in trouble?

Started by Mike, Nov 13, 2007, 17:08:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

There have been a few reports on the astro websites recently that Meade is in financial trouble. Here is a letter they are issuing out to distributors :-

http://homepage.mac.com/imjeffp/manufacturing_relocation.pdf

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

Pity, but it looks like they'll continue trading and move all manufacturing to China.
Though I suppose it's a good thing if it keeps the price down so more people can get into the hobby.
Unfortunately, all those scopes coming off the production line and the "manufacturer" wont be known until the paint goes on  :lol:
Mick
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

Well if they get bought out by Synta maybe it will mean that Meade will finally end up with decent quality mounts instead of the ones made of chedder that they make at the moment. So who knows, maybe it's a good thing.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

Aah, a nice sturdy mount..........
I do hope they keep that reassuring whine of the Meade motors  :D

Mike

You do realise that Meade mounts double up as coffee bean grinders?

mickw

I bought one AS a coffee grinder and thought it mould be useful as a mount  :lol: