• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

progress so far on the observatory

Started by Rocket Pooch, Jun 21, 2005, 15:36:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

where the thing is in me garden.

oh I still have the 1m X 1m x 75cm hole to fill with concrete :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: csuddell on 2005-06-21 07:37 ]

Mike

Personally I think your mad!

I take it the hole in the middle is so you can pour more concrete in at a greater depth for a pillar or pier of some kind?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

I agree totally, its mad tiring and costly.

By the way the whole in the middle is approx 1 meter x 1 meter x 75cm deep and will have an 8" steel tube bolted to the top with a roll off roof observatory on it, next to it will be a 6.5m x 4m log cabin with a heater in it.

So mad now, comfy in winter.  The scope will be permanently mounted and aligned and I will even have the auto guider setup and a auto filter wheel.

So get home look up, clear, go out roll of the roof, pop next door and image away:ļ

[ This Message was edited by: csuddell on 2005-06-22 14:34 ]

Mike

Good idea i suppose. I couldn't set up an observatory in my garden. I have excellent views of the sky in all directions, but only by moving to different points of the garden so it would need to be on observatory on wheels.

I take it that you will be using the LX90 as your observatory scope? If so, and it is permanently mounted, then what will you be using for obs sessions, deep sky camp, etc. ?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Who said I would be using the LX90?

Well I will for now, yes it will be perminently mounted.  I have an EQ5 and thats going to have a new toy put on the top of it for a portable solution :smile:

Then an upgrade at sometime in the future.

I welded up the cage and bolts lat night for the pier, that was good fun :smile:  Haven't done any welding for about 16 years, way to long a time not to play with a welder.

Mike

Why are you bolting the pier to the concrete rather than sinking it into the ground and concreting it in ?

Also, are you going to divulge what the new toy will be ?

Rocket Pooch

I'm going to bolt it so I can replace it with a different size one if needed.

And no, I have not made my mind up yet, also it won't be till next spring anyway.  But it will have a focal length or 2.8m+ or so and a biggish apperture maybe 312mm with a little piggy back scope.

Rocket Pooch

Well its been a long summer and between being in India for 7 weeks since the start of this project and also having the kids every second week I have now managed to complete the big log cabin next to the observatory and also complete the observatory with the exception of the roof (the easy bit).  Also I need to run some electricity down to both the log cabin and the observatory.

There is a very good chance it will be complete within the month.

Does anyone fancy comming over during November for a opening party?

Mike

Count me in for that one. Looking forward to seeing this observatory of yours. Maybe make an observing session of it as well ?!

Rocket Pooch

Ok, in theory, by next weekend the observatory will be finished with the LX90 installed.  Some of the finer points will not be complete, but it will be functional at last....

JohnP

So when's the big opening party then......?

Rocket Pooch

well the selected few can come round at any time :-) but the opening party will have to be when I put some aggregate and sand down to stop the surrounding area from becomming a bog (its been raining).  Also I'm awiating an answer on the 12" scope.....

If I can;t get the rings for the thing it will be kitted out with the LX90 and 80F5 first.  But thats got to be worth a drink or 10 in the log cabin, every spare weekend I have had this year I have been building and I've had enough  :x

Rocket Pooch

Got the pier now, I just need to level it and bingo.....

Rocket Pooch

its done at last and in action  :D