• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Perseids, night of 12th-13th August 2024

Started by Rick, Aug 15, 2024, 14:28:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

Quite an intense Perseid maximum this year, and some auroral activity on the night as well, though you can't see that in this tracked stack which tries to show all the meteors caught that night by my two Global Meteor Network cameras. One camera caught 255 Perseids and 60 other meteors. The other caught 302 Perseids and 66 others (along with a wandering spider, which is why one side looks a bit grotty...). There's some field overlap, so quite a few of those were caught by both cameras. I decided not to produce a tracked-stack showing just the Perseids, as this one took almost 7 hours to process, and I'd rather the machine were busy capturing fresh data overnight....

Gallery link

Carole

Good work rick, I like the story of the wandering spider.  Ha Ha

Rick

Quote from: Carole on Aug 15, 2024, 15:58:02wandering spider
I need to get a ladder out, get up there, and evict any spiders in the neighbourhood. I had the ladder out earlier, but it started to rain before I could get round to the camera....

JohnDeathridge

MarkOwens

great photo.
I happened to be under dark skies in rural France that evening sitting watching this with naked eye and am sure I can spot a few of the brighter ones in your photo! It was quite a show, best I've seen for a while (might of course just have been the sky darkness)

Rick

That night was quite a Perseid peak. Dark skies (and no bright Moon) make a huge difference, and it was a good year from that point of view.

A couple of days ago the UK branch of the Global Meteor Network reported that it had so far captured 121,574 single-station detections from 219 cameras, with one station detecting nearly 1400 Perseids.

75,761 single-station detections were matched with other detections and led to 8,239 confirmed Perseid meteor orbits and trajectories.

One matched event was picked up by 49 stations.

The brightest was magnitude -7.33 and there were five confirmed fireballs. The average magnitude was about +1.

Full report: https://archive.ukmeteors.co.uk/reports/2024/PER/index.html