• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

SN2023ixf supernova in M101

Started by MarkS, Jun 02, 2023, 06:38:33

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Supernova SN2023ixf was discovered 19 May 2023 by the Japanese researcher Koichi Itagaki.  It's a type II supernova i.e. a core collapse supernova. This image was taken by me a few days later on 24 May 2023:

The position of the supernova is marked.  This is a stack of 250 exposures of 8sec at ISO 10000 taken with a modified Sony A7S on a Celestron C11 SCT with Starizona 0.7x LF corrector.  The colour of the supernova should be a lot bluer than this but unfortunately it saturated the sensor pixels.

Obviously this image has been stretched to show the galaxy itself.  To get a better idea of how bright the supernova is compared with the whole galaxy, this second image (when looked at in a darkened room) is approximately what you would see through a telescope with the naked eye:

Mark

The Thing

I've got a load of M101 subs from 3 nights ago but they are never going to look as good as this.

Carole

Dave A

Mark

That's a lovely image, and amazing the supernova was only discovered 2 weeks ago
 :)

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!