• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Western dusk star trail including Jupiter and Venus

Started by Kenny, May 14, 2015, 21:21:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny

Western dusk star trail from Arborfield Cross in Berkshire. Leo and the top of Gemini including Jupiter and Venus. 33 of 60 x 2 minute exposures at 18mm, f/11, ISO-800 with 5 second interval. Stacked in Startrails.exe. Rogue pixels removed in Paint.net.

The brightest 'star' left of the trees is Jupiter. The bright 'star' beind the trees down to the horizon is Venus. The main constellation is Leo. I really wanted 2 hours of star trail but I started too earlier (if 10:15pm can be too early on a school night) when the dusk sky was still too bright so I had to drop the first 27 frames (which also included a couple of planes flying through).

MarkS

Really nice!

That tree is perfectly lit with a fantastic sky behind it.

You should be really proud of that one!

Mark

Kenny

Thanks. There was a little bit of luck involved. The longer exposures certainly helped but so did an intermittent security light. :)

The Thing

Really good image Kenny, nice colour as well.

JohnP

Carole

julian

Mike

Really nice Kenny. You should try a few and 'light paint' the foreground objects by shining a torch over them for a second or two. Might be an interesting experiment.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RachelC

That is a lovely image. And the tree looks gorgeous!

Kenny

Quote from: Mike on May 15, 2015, 12:29:33
Really nice Kenny. You should try a few and 'light paint' the foreground objects by shining a torch over them for a second or two. Might be an interesting experiment.

I do fancy having another go at that. Last time I tried was January at Stonehaven war memorial and my torch wasn't bright enough to show up in the exposure.

p.s. Thanks all for the comments.

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!