• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Hook up

Started by Carole, May 13, 2014, 23:37:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Going to need a 2nd hook up for the van.  Would I be safer getting one with an RCD like this one, though I do find those flaps very tough and awkward to hold open when plugging plugs in.

A

Or would one of these be OK:
B

Or this.
C

MarkH

Get the rcd one Carole, better safe than dead ;)

MarkS

On camping and caravan sites all electrical hook ups they provide must already be fitted with an RCD as a legal requirement.  So the extra expense of buying a cable with an RCD should be unnecessary.

On the other hand you can never be too careful and having your own RCD gives additional failsafe. Splash-proof sockets are definitely highly recommended for outside usage or in-tent usage, even if the flaps are awkward.

Mike

Mine has an RCD and has popped on occasion when i've overloaded it before the main RCD has popped (usually kettle plus heater does it). As far as I can see it's an extra layer of protection, especially as you are inside a tent/campervan that has flammable materials, gas bottles, etc. and high ampage devices such as kettles, heaters, etc.

Better to be safe than sorry.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Thanks Guys, OK RCD it is then. 

Carole