• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

How to balance your mount

Started by Carole, Apr 27, 2014, 16:58:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I bought myself an HEQ5 for taking to camp in future so i can leave my NEQ6 permanently mounted. 

I took the ED120 with me to camp for galaxy capture and found that one counterweight was slightly too light and 2 counterweights were definitely too heavy so I was scratching my head what to do to add some more weight to the counterweight end.

This is what i came up with - ha ha!
A pair of pliers stuck on with blue tac and strapped on for good measure with some knicker elastic I found amongst my junk.

It worked.  Must sort out a proper counterweight now.   :cheesy:

Carole

RobertM

That's a lot of knicker elastic Carole, I won't ask where that came from :o

Carole

It wasn't out of any knickers, I think it just got in with the camping guy ropes some-where.  Must have used it previously for something.

I thought that was quite funny, where there's a will etc.

I used to have a half sized counterweight (think I still have it), but it was for the CG5 GT and the hole is bigger and the bolt doesn't reach the counterweight bar.  I'll have to see about getting it adapted if I'm to use this combo again.

Carole

Fay

That amount of elastic must have come from a pair of drawers  Carole!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

why not slide the second weight up the bar?

Its all to do with levers.

Mac.

Carole

Quotewhy not slide the second weight up the bar?

I did that Mac, I slid BOTH up the bar but it was too heavy with two.

It just needed a little more than 1 right at the end otherwise the scope end dropped, and with the pliers it balanced just right.

QuoteThat amount of elastic must have come from a pair of drawers  Carole!!   
Among my other hobbies I also do sewing Fay, so it was probably a "left over" from something I made in the past. 

Carole