• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Crab Nebula stage 1 & 11 now bicolour

Started by Carole, Feb 27, 2014, 11:24:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I bought myself a 2nd hand Atik16i (bought it a few months ago and this is it's first light).  
I bought it to do some of the smaller objects as galaxy season is a bit of a waste of time with a large chip.

I was not confident (on past experience) of finding the target easily on such a small chip, so I used the WOZS71 APO, but EQMod and a permanent mount has made things a lot better, so I think I'll use the ED120 next time.

Am planning to get Oiii and Sii as well, but just thought I'd post it up as a first light.  Also need some more Ha I think and possibly some longer subs.

10 x 600secs Ha Atik16i
Stacked in Astroart and processed in PS CS3
Slight CROP (so need the ED120 next time).

Carole

I managed to get a bit of Oiii last night after the AGM.  

I think the image would benefit from a lot more data as the background is fairly mottled, but chance would be a fine thing, as the object disappears behind the trees quite early.  Think I can just about see the Neutron star.  

so now
10 x 600secs Ha Atik16i
7 x 600secs Oiii
Mapped Ha, Oiii, Oiii
Stacked in Astroart and processed in PS CS3

MarkS

Wow - you went home and did some imaging!  But then you didn't go to the pub afterwards.

It looks much better in 2 colours.  It is, perhaps, a little on the soft side - is there a reason for that, I wonder?

Carole

QuoteIt is, perhaps, a little on the soft side - is there a reason for that, I wonder?
Yes I noticed that.  It looks very slightly out of focus to me, but the Bahtinov mask was dead centre, so don't know.

Carole

Carole

I've sharpened it a bit and at the same time increased the colour slightly.

mickw

I think you've overdone it  :(

The nebula looks brighter but the stars still seem out of focus/soft and a bit egg shaped to the upper left.

The noise seems a lot clearer though  ;)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rocket Pooch

Carole,

Isn't the 16ic's pixels 7.4 microns rather than 5.4 microns of the 8300 chip camera, or did you not get a 8300 based setup?

If you have either a DLSR or 8300 based system both have higher resolution than the 18ic and therefore a crop of a frame would be better from a resolution point of view?

A smaller chip does not mean it makes the target bigger.....

Carole

I think I have a Sony chip Chris.  

Statistical analysis of cameras etc is not my forte, and some-one else already pointed this out to me, so you could be right.  
I'll have a bit of fun with it and just sell it on if it doesn't work out.  

I guess I was just looking at the results of John's images with what I thought was the same camera.  

Carole

Rocket Pooch