• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

frustrating night

Started by Ivor, Sep 15, 2013, 08:56:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivor

I wondered that but I thought EQMOD would place the Polaris position behind the actual position rather than ahead. 

e.g. It was 23:00 BST the top star of Cassiopeia (Caph) was at 2:00 EQMOD put it at 01:00.

The only other explaination I can think of is EQMOD thinks the time on the laptop is GMT and has added a further hour , but I'm not sure how EQMOD makes that decision.

The Thing

Can't help, sorry, I've never used this function except to see where Polaris is in relation to the reticle, though I more often have used Polarfinder. I used to centre Polaris on the cross hairs, then move it left or right thus establishing a base line, Polaris must be either at 9 or 3 o'clock at this point. Then I moved Polaris round the circle to the indicated position, all using the adjustment knobs.

Now I use AstroTortilla and PoleFocus the polarscope is redundant. Astrotortilla calculates the alignment error and then PoleFocus offsets the scope from a previously centered star using the alignment error figures, I just then have to re-center the star using knobs. Simples. PHd2 can provide confirmation of accuracy based on drift if you click on the Trendlines function in the Graph. Polar accuracy appears as an overlay.

Mike

Use the Kochab's clock method and then fine tune it afterwards.

Use both eyes, one to look up at Kochab (Beta Ursa Minor) and the other through the polarscope.

Then get Kochab, Polaris and the centre cross all lined up along an imaginary straight line through them all.

Alternatively click the Polaris button in EQ-MOD and it will show you were to put in the reticule.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan