• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

NGC1499 in Hydrogen Alpha

Started by Ivor, Oct 24, 2012, 06:57:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivor

I tried the California in NB unfortunately the battle with the clouds meant my 5mins SII & OIII subs didn't contain enough data to use so I've been left with just the H.

I'm never sure how strong to do the high pass filter, do you think I've over cooked it?

6 x 5m in HA
ST8300M @ -25C
WO FLT110

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Quote from: Mike
Can't see the picture.

The eye isn't very sensitive to H-alpha ...

Ivor

Sorry, still trying to work out how to use my Google+ hosting, I've opened up the site now. Not convinced I like google's site options too controlling and restrictive I might find an alternative yet.

Ivor

This is weird, if I click on the link in an email I get the image come up in IE however if I do it from the Forum it takes you to a download page.  :!

Ivor

OK I've copied it to the gallery, but when I right click on the image to copy the shortcut to the image to include image link I can't seem to get the shortcut in the buffer it just pastes Javascript(); What am I doing something wrong ? is it the lack of coffee?

so sorry it's not pretty

http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/displayimage-1342.html

(Edit: Changed to permanent links, not relative ones -- Rick)

Rick

Quote from: Ivor on Oct 24, 2012, 08:14:37
This is weird, if I click on the link in an email I get the image come up in IE however if I do it from the Forum it takes you to a download page.  :!

Ah. You're being bitten by a system that's referrer-sensitive...

MarkS

It's looking very good for your few short subs.  My screen at work isn't much good so I'll take a proper look at home tonight.

Mark

Fay

well that is not so bad, Ivor. was it done at Rother?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Looks good to me as well - The stars are very small - did you use a star reduction algorithm or something on them...?

RobertM

That looks like a very good start Ivor and very noise free.  You'll need a lot more to see the detail but it's well worth it :)

Robert

Ivor

Quotewell that is not so bad, Ivor. was it done at Rother?

No on that Saturday but from lesser darker Bidborough.

QuoteLooks good to me as well - The stars are very small - did you use a star reduction algorithm or something on them...?

I stacked in AA5 and did the rest of the processing in PS. After a couple of interations of levels I separated the stars from nebula and individually worked on both before merging back together.

QuoteThat looks like a very good start Ivor and very noise free.  You'll need a lot more to see the detail but it's well worth it

I'd planned to take a lot more data, but as well as a bit of weather I was doing my maiden run of a AA5 script which threw up a couple of issues. What I have learnt is the ST8300M works really well at -30C but the subs for NGC1499 needs to be at least 15mins.

Roll on a clear night to try again.

MarkS

Yes - definitely looks much better on my monitor at home.

There are some slight artifacts but I can't really tell if you have overcooked the high pass filter or over-compressed the JPG.  But that's only a minor criticism.  It's a great start!  Shame about the SII and OIII.

Mark