• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Horsehead Nebula 27-11-11

Started by Carole, Nov 28, 2011, 16:36:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Taken from my Back Garden (POD) early hours of 28th.

29 x 5mins 800 ISO, CLS filter, Modified Canon 450D
Skywatcher ED120 Pro, Guided with ST80 and PHD
+ darks, Flats and Bias
Stacked in DSS and post processed in Photoshop CS3
Full Frame
Could do with a few more hours, but was quite pleased with it considering the location.
Hoping to add to it.

Link to larger file
http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10047/Horsehead_Nebula_27-11-11_29_x_5_800_ISO_Full_Frame_Forum_size.jpg

Fay

Well that looks good Carole, come out well

I was heading that way but got fed up with next doors trees. Will have to set up elsewhere in the garden

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

You must have had a late night - I was also out last night - imaging until 6am.

I think that is an excellent result for a CLS filter from a light polluted area like yours.  The Horsehead itself has come out very well indeed.

The Flame has a weird colour cast though and the areas of nebulosity below the Horsehead should look a bit bluer.

These are only minor criticisms for an otherwise good result.

Mark

Carole

Thanks Fay.

Hi Mark,
QuoteYou must have had a late night
I was up until 3.45, and then went to sleep while my darks were capturing.  

QuoteThe Flame has a weird colour cast though and the areas of nebulosity below the Horsehead should look a bit bluer.
Yes I thought overall it was all a bit too red, but the colour channels seem to be fairly even, so I decided to wait and see what feedback I got.  I'll have a further tweak and see what I come up with.

I was quite pleased with Alnitak this time as it was really blown out when I did this a year ago. 

Carole

RobertM

I think that's a great result Carole, the colour cast will be difficult to control but non the less I think you've processed it very well.  Stars look good and there's a bit of underlying noise that a few more subs would help with - apart from that it could be one of your best to date !

Robert

Carole

Thanks Robert.
Quotea bit of underlying noise that a few more subs would help with
Yes I am hoping to do at least the same amount again.

Carole

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole