• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Quick Moon image

Started by Rocket Pooch, Dec 19, 2010, 22:19:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Got out of thre car tonight, -7c already and looked up and would you beleieve it a nice 360deg moon bow, sorry about the quality of the image I was in a rush to get warm.

Taken at 8mm

Moonbow by chrissuddell, on Flickr

Chris

MarkS

That's certainly a wide angle!

Nice to get a whole moonbow in.  Which camera did you use?

PhilB

Interesting image, Chris, can't say I've ever seen one of these before.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Rocket Pooch

Hi Mark,

Its the EOS1000D I think that was a 30 second exposure.

Phil,

I have seena few of these, but you really only see them when its cold and oddly your somewhere dark, sounds daft considering its a full moon.

Chris

Tony G

Ah! A moon with diffraction spikes, that will go down well..................not. :!

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

Is it just the inner cirlce Chris?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Quote from: Fay on Dec 20, 2010, 22:56:19
Is it just the inner cirlce Chris?

Have you seen one with a double bow then?  The parhelion variety (but with the moon instead of the sun)?

Mac

Nice capture.
Not something you see every day night.
Mac.

Rocket Pooch

Mark,

I did see all kinds of stuff when I was in Finland about 6 years ago, but I would be lying if I said I saw a double moon bow, but I did see the northern lights.

It should be clear and quite on xMas eve and day so I'm going to image both nights, esspecially seeing I do not have to go outside anymore, oh yes!

Chris

MarkS

Quote from: Rocket Pooch
It should be clear and quite on xMas eve and day so I'm going to image both nights, esspecially seeing I do not have to go outside anymore, oh yes!

Yes, I'm sure it will be clear because I have family over and won't be able to go out imaging!

mickw

QuoteI have family over and won't be able to go out imaging!

Quick, you have 3 days to buy a dog, then you can take it for one of those "long walks" to Lydd  ;)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

Quote from: mickw
QuoteI have family over and won't be able to go out imaging!

Quick, you have 3 days to buy a dog, then you can take it for one of those "long walks" to Lydd  ;)

Just taking the dog for a walk - BTW I'm taking the telescope as well - just in case the dog runs away and I need to search for it!

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

The Thing

Quote from: MarkS on Dec 21, 2010, 15:28:38
Just taking the dog for a walk - BTW I'm taking the telescope as well - just in case the dog runs away and I need to search for it!

Get a St Bernard and put the banana scope on it's collar, then stash a bottle of weird french sh17 in the OTA so if anyone asks you can give them a tot... :chase: