• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

IC63 Widefield

Started by RobertM, Oct 30, 2010, 20:53:57

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

This is a widefield image of IC63 and associated Ha nebulosity around the star Gamma Cassiopeia.  I've tried to catch some of the wider nebulosity which is very faint and more or less succeded.  It was a very difficult capture with the moon and had to put additional shielding around the lens.  The image was taken the same night as the Horsehead/Flame image I posted a week ago.  The reason it took so long to post was processing problems caused by gradients, this is the result of the fourth attempt.  I think it's kind of ok but any suggestions are welcome.

Field of view 5 x 4 degrees.

Full res image: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1169/5128976629_1261ebd4e0_o.jpg

Usual culprits...

Capture details:
Exposure: 60 x 300s (5hrs) Baader Ha 7nm bin 2 x 2
Camera: FLI ML 8300 @-30C
Optics: Canon 200L lens @ f/3.2
Conditions: Clear but nearly full moon
Sky Magnitude: approx 3.5
Date: 21/10/2010
Guiding: Lodestar + converted 50mm finder

TFL
Robert

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Ok you have done the easy bit :-) now get the colour :-), I think the dark lanes below are just showing in the image below where ic59 is, also the ickle blue cluster bottom left.

Are you going to add the colour at DSC next week if its clear?

Chris

Rocket Pooch

Just added my colour, well the pathetic little area

RobertOver by chrissuddell, on Flickr

RobertM

Thanks Chris, that's a really good start.  You obviously have a flair for adding colour to Ha images - would you consider doing the other 7 panes if I buy you a beer ;-)

Rocket Pooch

errrr, no.

I would spend ages doing the whole frame.....

:-)

Whitters

Ah go-on, go-on, go-on!
You know you want to.

MarkS

Robert,

It's not nearly as spectacular as the Orion one - I think some widefields work better than others.

This one would be helped by having a lot more data to bring out the darker areas better.

Mark

RobertM

Thanks Mark and I agree but 5hrs is all the Ha it's going to get from me at home.  I think the RGB treatment might help a lot in this case.  Whether or not I get around to it is another thing.

It's also not the best target for a nearly full moon!

Robert

Fay

Yes, I think with these very widefields, the main subject has to be quite large with different brightness intensities, like Horsehead/M42, to look dynamic
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!