• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Ascom and HEQ6

Started by Tony G, Sep 26, 2010, 12:53:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony G

Hi,

I have been trying to use ASCOM on the HEQ5 via Cartes du Ciel, but I'm having a problem.
Everything seems to be OK, connection wise, until I connect to the mount, the connection is made and the control panel appears for a couple of seconds on the laptop, and then disappears. I tried various serial adapters in case that was the problem, but they work on other items.
Any suggestions?
I have tried other mounts on the suggested list on CDC, and all show invalid command or no connection when I've tried to connect, but with the HEQ5 this does not happen, which makes me think, there is a connection there of some kind

Tony G

PS.....................Remember that I have said on previous posts, I can switch on a computer, and buy anything you can think of, but I'm a bit slow on the workings, so to speak. :-?
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

You have the wrong serial port, go into Control panel and see what it is, or the mount is turned off, one or the other.

Chris

Tony G

Well, it's finally up and running, even if it is slow to respond, but there has been no change from the set-up which didn't work in France, so that's a bit baffling. Anyway I'll wait and see if anyone can help in the response time when I attend uDSC in October, but just glad to get it going.
Chris, didn't change anything, and went back to the existing serial adapter (the one in the Gite), as I couldn't upload the drivers for the new one you recommended, even with the CD that came with it. Thanks anyway.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Rocket Pooch

The Thing

Intermittently works? Sounds like a dodgy serial cable to me.

With my Meade I use Poth Plain Old Telescope HUB to connect the Ascom Driver to the scope handset and then choose Quiet Scope which stops the scope handset clogging up the bandwidth with extraneous messages. Then I can 'attach' any other software eg. CDC, PHD  etc. to the scope at the same time.

Rocket Pooch

Hi Dunc,

I think Tony wants to do the same as me, and get rid of the hand controller on the mount and also guide through ASCOM, but I agree it sounds like an iffy cable.

Chris