• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Moon & Mercury... Just!!!!

Started by JohnP, Apr 16, 2010, 11:56:45

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Hadn't planned this at all.. just out in garden around 8'ish when caught a glimpse of new moon (thinnest I have ever seen). Rushed around grabbed EOS & tripod - then had to search for glasses & torch - eventually managed a couple of hurried shots (I have a crap Westerly view from my garden).  Spent about 1hr scanning shots & eventually spied Mercury in one frame hiden between branches of a bush... Image below is 100% crop of this .. Mercury just visible top left.  Shame I couldn't get Venus as well but too many bushes/ trees. May try again tonight.

Cheers,  John

Rocket Pooch

PhilB

Nice, it's a photo I was trying to take! But, if you took this on the 15th as I intended to do, I think you'll find that Mercury is just to the left of the moon (very hard to see) and  the planet in the top left is Venus.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Tony G

Phil,

Just checking on Stellarium for the evening of the 15th and I think this is the Moon and Mercury, as Venus is further to the left, and would be a lot brighter.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

PhilB

I've rechecked it, Tony and think you may be right. So, what is it in the fugg just over one moon diameter immediately to the left of the crescent moon?
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

mickw

Hot pixel  ;)

Brightest ? object in that area is tyc1218-1714-1 mag 9 against Mercurys mag 1.42

Satellite COBE also in the area just before 8 at mag 6.7
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

PhilB

Thanks Mick. Hot pixel might well be it - or perhaps the sun reflected from one of COBEs solar panels?

mickw

The only thing it wouldn't be is a plane  :lol:

JohnP

Well it's definitely Mercury top left... Venus was way brighter.. I have other images as well from same night so can check for dot to left of moon... I think probably hot pixel though because 27Ari would also be in frame further to left & that is mag 6.2 & I cant see that...

mickw

The plot thickens...................................

Mike

Get the exact time and date it was taken and superimpose it over a same scale planetarium image.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Its my bum, I was up in a plane doing a moony with tin foil on it.

PhilB

Quote from: Space Dog on Apr 18, 2010, 15:52:19
Its my bum...

Astonishing, Chris. How did you know that John was taking a picture at that moment and how did you calculate the incidence/reflection angles?

Rocket Pooch

It took years of planning including ensuring no aircraft where in the area to ensure I did not get bum ped into.

PhilB

Ahh, it's not just a knack then  :D