• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M31 60x90s ISO 320 C14 with Hyperstar Re_Process HI Res

Started by Daniel, Aug 01, 2009, 17:45:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Hi All, since the weathers been pretty terrible I thought I'd spend some time re-processing my images (loving using deconvolution right now) I've also got myself a Picasa account so i can upload the full res image.

Anyway, I've sorted out that gradient, fixed the background levels and run some mild deconcolution on it.

Here's the result, what do you guy's think, better or worse?

Daniel,
:O)

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/L2BHBLjOEQYa1w4ZqNsMJw?feat=directlink

Edit - Just discovered picasa won't display more than 1600 pixels horizontal, this image is nearly 5000 across, ahhh well, it's still higher res than flickr allowed me to upload

MarkS

Daniel,

Compared to the original that is an excellent reprocess - the dust lanes are looking sharper and you have avoided the temptation of applying too heavy a deconvolution which would have left dark rings round the stars.

You have done a very fine job of removing the gradients in the image.  All in all, it is a remarkable result for an M31 taken from your location, especially for a DSLR.  It at an excellent scale as well. 

I'm not saying it is a perfect image but if you could do the same thing from a dark location I'm pretty sure it would be!

BTW, what software did you use for the decon?  Was the decon done against a star (or stars) in the image or does it assume a Gaussian distribution - if so how does it determine the width of the Gaussian to use?
Mark

Daniel

Hi Mark, thanks for the comments, I used AIP4WIN for the deconvolution using John's suggestion of the Van Cittert algorythm and picking 3 medium size stars It worked a real treat on M16 especially, might upload the full res of that too.

Daniel

MarkS

Do you have a 16bit TIF of the non-deconvolved data? I wouldn't mind giving it a try myself.
http://www.sendspace.com/ seems to work for transferring huge images.

Mark

Daniel

Mark, could you PM me your e-mail address so I can send you the file through sendspace, can't wait to see what you can do with it

Daniel

RobertM

Daniel, It looks superb but I don't think that resolution does it justice - maybe a Flickr Pro account would help.  I wouldn't mind having a go myself if you don't mind sending it again ;)

Daniel

Thanks guys, Im currently uploading now, will post the url to grab it from in about 15 mins ;) though just realised it's nearly 4K across not 5, been looking at too many 5D MKII pictures recently

RobertM

Ok, I've  had a crack at it.  Where do you want the result ?  One thing that's noticable is that it's a very noise free image considering all the LP you have...

Daniel

you could upload to sendspace again, though it'd be great to see a low res uploaded here, that's one thing I love abou the hyperstar, the short exposure times coupled with sheer number of subs you can take gives you very noise free images, makes stretching the detail out a LOT easyer!

Carole

QuoteWhere do you want the result ? 
Can you post it on here as well as I'd like to see it.

Carole

Daniel

Just realised, If you download the image from picasa rather than view it online, you can view the full res!