• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M42 Work in Progress

Started by MarkS, Dec 07, 2008, 03:16:56

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

16 x 5min
Modified EOS350D on Celestron C11 with F6.3 reducer and CLS filter taken from Sidcup tonight.  Size scaled down by factor of 2 and then cropped slightly.

Processing this data to make it look "right" will be quite a challenge because of the huge dynamic range.  But, in any case, here is a preview.  I also took some shorter subs which don't burn out the trapezium - somehow I need to combine that data in.

Full size (1280 x 1024) here:
http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10046/neb1280x1024.jpg

Rocket Pooch

very nice, it was clear last night and looks like it will be tonight as well, if so i'll be out at last....

Fay

What a good start Mark. Really nice, look forward to seeing how it ends up after full processing.

I want to have a go at this, obviously, it will be all new to me, the processing with different length subs.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Last night, I also tried the nebulosity around Merope and also the Cone Nebula.  Neither came out well (even with the CLS filter) because the sky was very damp, which created a high level of background signal (hence noise).

Here's the (22 x 5min) full frame Christmas Tree shrunk in size by a factor of 5.   Because of the low quality, I haven't bothered to remove the background gradients.

Rocket Pooch

ouch, well lets see how that 6" F5 newt is tonight, if its clear, on the SXD.

RobertM

Excellent work on the M42 Mark, the dust really does look smokey.

Last night really was a bit strange, it started off frosty then all that melted and it turned very dewy around midnight then I wake up to see an extensive frost !

JohnP

Another very promising looking image... John

MarkS

This is about the best I can do:

Full size (1476 x 1096) is here:
http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10046/m42_061208.jpg

Balancing detail against noise is always subjective.  This time I've gone for more detail and contrast at the expense of noise.

Details as before:
15 x 5min (+ 4 x 1 min for the core)
Modified EOS350D on Celestron C11 with F6.3 reducer and CLS filter taken from Sidcup tonight.  Size scaled down by factor of 2 and then cropped slightly.  Ambient temperatue 0C.

Mike

Very nice Mark. Colours look a bit weird, like it is lacking in Blue, but very nice anyway.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Quote from: Mike
Very nice Mark. Colours look a bit weird, like it is lacking in Blue, but very nice anyway.

Thanks for the comment.

The weirdness of colours will be partially (or wholly) due to the CLS filter.  It's lets through the narrowband Ha at 100% but severely curtails the broadband green and blue.  However, but boosting the blue also tends to boost a lot of noise and also makes the stars go blue as well.

I'd like to take this image again - next time from a dark site.  Watch this space ...

Mark

Mike

I know it is a colour chip but have you tried RGB filters?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Quote from: Mike
I know it is a colour chip but have you tried RGB filters?

It wouldn't help.  My main problem is light pollution so I either need to use a CLS filter (or equivalent) or use narrowband filters.

A.S.I.G.N_Baz

I actually quite like the composition of the cone nebula you have got there. Warts and all - Nice effect.

Baz.