• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Public Evening 8th or 9th July

Started by Tony G, Jul 08, 2008, 20:15:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony G

Just to make organisers of the public events aware, that this ad is on the News shopper web site today, but on our home page it is giving tomorrows date.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/bromnews/display.var.2384071.0.starry_starry_night.php

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Carole

Hmmm, thanks for the warning.  I wonder whether they anticipated the circulation of the paper to be on Wednesday, but having said that, it would have been more sensible to have specified a day and date.  Trust the papers to get it wrong.

This sort of thing is not doing our PR much good as Bromley Council cancelled the Moon watch last time as they said there were only two people booked.  Those two people turned up to the Solar Watch in the afternoon and had no idea the Moon Watch had been cancelled (they had booked for both), and in addition to this there were other people there who had also booked for the Moon watch making the total far in excess of the 2 stated.  So there was a real mess up there, especially as they hadn't informed any-one it had been cancelled.  When we heard about it we said we were still willing to do it but BEECHE no longer had any-one to open up. 

It could have reflected very badly on OAS if we hadn't had that conversation because they probably didn't differentiate between the organisers (the council) and us who were running the thing.  Also who knows if any-one actually turned up to the Moon Watch who hadn't been there in the afternoon.

Carole

mickw

If Beeche/Bromley Council are messing up with the promotion of our Outreach program, Should we not take them out of the loop ?

If we are booking the Beeche centre for an Outreach event, couldn't we just inform the New Shopper when an event will take place ?
It seems that people get their information from the New Shopper anyway, so why leave it up to a third party to mess things up.   :(

Judging by the last New Shopper report (at least I think it was the NS - Jeff, Jim, Carole etc.), it would seem there is sufficient interest.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Jim

Hi Everyone

Tonights observing session actually has nothing to do with Bromley. It's been entirely organised by us. We did get a notice of the event onto Bromleys events website and I checked that that was accurate. We also distributed fliers to all the libraries and those are on display. The Newshopper must have got the info from reading Bromleys website and just did not reproduce it accurately.

I know that the first events we organised with Bromley were problematic, but that has been ironed out now and actually the staff at BEECHE have been incredibly helpfull and supportive of us. Despite being very short staffed they make every effort to accomodate us and we have a good relationship. They really do deserve our thanks.

Jim

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional