• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Meteor Watch - Saturday 11th August

Started by Mike, Aug 06, 2007, 09:22:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Don't forget that we are having a Meteor Watch session at High Elms this Saturday. Meet at the pub first around 8pm and then move on to the field once it gets dark.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

We are? Oops! Date added to Observing Evening calendar on website...

Mike

Indeed !!

Jim has also booked High Elms for the Sunday so if Saturday is a washout and Sunday is clear we can try again if you so wish.

As it stands the weather forecast is "Mostly Cloudy" for both nights :(
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

Mike

As I type this www.weather.co.uk is reporting a perfectly clear night for Saturday !!!  :D

Tony G

It's not looking to bad on Metcheck either.
I've been in the garden with the deckchair and a couple of bottles of cider trying to get an early preview while it is clear, and i now need to tell Jeff about the hundreds of double stars that i've seen tonight.
Jeff is always trying to show me double stars through the scope, but I always tend to see them better through the cider bottles. :o

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

I saw 2 last night.

So who is going to be there later on ?

mickw

I was thinking of popping down - weather looks a bit iffy for tomorrow.
Whats the procedure (apart from meet in the pub) ?  Just turn up with something to sit on and perhaps binoculars ?
Mick
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

Mick,

Yeah the plan is to meet in the pub (Change of Horses) at 8. A few drink then on to the field once it gets darkish. Bring whatever you need to stay warm and comfortable. Bring a cup if you want a hot drink as I am bringing all the necessary to make tea and coffee. I'm also bringing my camp bed as meteor watchign is far easier if you can lay out horizontal. Anyway, see you there.

Mike

Well we have just got home after a successful meteor watching session. We saw 23 in total, including at least 3 that left trails. We also saw a very bright Iridium Flare.

Fay

Tony, I bet you always see doubles of everything when you have had a couple of ciders!!!!!

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Tony G

I could have swore it was 46 :o

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson