• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

IC410 in HA

Started by Ivor, Jan 25, 2016, 22:49:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivor

Still waiting to collect the other channels so processed the HA to improve my processing skills

FLT110, SBIG ST8300M 25 x 600S processed in PI and HP filter applied in Photoshop.

What is strange is the line to the right appears in all the subs but doesn't appear in subsequent images taken of different targets. I plan to remove it once I cropped with the other channels.

Carole

Well done so far Ivor, looking forward to the coloured version.

That line looks like a refractor spike from an out of view star, but that's even more puzzling since you are using a refractor. 

RobertM

Very nice Ivor.

I think there may be a problem with your calibration frames (or use of) - you have several fine dark lines which should have been removed by those.

Robert

JohnP

Looking good. As Robert points out there is an issue with black vertical lines.... and perhaps minor field curvature issues in corners? A lot of detail though.. well done - John

Fay

well done Ivor, you are doing well!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

The line is coming directly from an out of view star, must have been a hair in the optical path or something, I had this happen to me once a few years ago.

Carole

Ivor

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm enjoying using PI, once you get your head around it the processing is very clean; I've still a lot to learn though.

[Carole] excellent bit of detective work there very impressive, I'll have a look at the filter to check for any artefacts.

Quote from: RobertM on Jan 26, 2016, 07:38:54
Very nice Ivor.

I think there may be a problem with your calibration frames (or use of) - you have several fine dark lines which should have been removed by those.

Robert

Good spot I'd not noticed the black lines before now, looking at the flats and darks it appears on them as well so I 'm not sure why it didn't removed them. I'm annoyed now as I didn't notice before, and I won't have time to reprocess it before Thursday.

Quote from: JohnP on Jan 26, 2016, 08:16:19
Looking good. As Robert points out there is an issue with black vertical lines.... and perhaps minor field curvature issues in corners? A lot of detail though.. well done - John

You are right the field flattener spacing is slightly out which I normally hide with cropping, with imaging nights being so rare I've not got around to fine tuning it.