• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Sony A7S - A game changer?

Started by MarkS, Apr 01, 2015, 06:33:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

So  does it need modding at all then?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Yes it needs modding.  My measurements compare a nodded Canon 350D with a nodded Sony A7S.

Mike

So what modifications so you plan on carrying out? Just the IR filter removal?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Yes, just the IR filter removal.  I see no need to cool it for RGB imaging on most scopes and no need to cool it for NB imaging on fast scopes.  NB imaging on fast scopes - I think that could be another interesting possibility ;)

MarkS

It arrived today.  It took a while to charge a battery and then I was stunned by the huge number of stars I could see in liveview with a standard 50mm lens.

I might be able to connect it to the Bananascope tomorrow.  I reckon there's a good possibility of capturing the Integrated Flux Nebula around M81/M82.

I'm not sure when I'm going to mod it.  Probably after Kelling.

Mark