• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M42 HaRGB

Started by Carole, Feb 26, 2015, 15:33:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Wasn't going to post this until I had some more data, but as the night I had planned didn't behave as predicted this doesn't look likely now until next winter what with the Moon, my upcoming holiday and Orion getting far over in the west, so thought I'd post up what I have done.

It's 2011 since I imaged M42 and all I have done since then is improve my post-processing, so thought it was time for some new data, and I hadn't yet imaged it with a Mono camera.

Processing and capturing this was "fun" what with all the filters and having to take a short set for each.

Atik314L WOZS71 and FR x 0.8
NEQ6 Home observatory
All Baader filters
Ha 7 x 20mins + 10 x 40secs
Red 4 x 180secs + 3 x 15secs
Green 3 x 180secs + 3 x 15secs
Blue 3 x 180secs + 3 x 15secs

Colour seems a bit strange in places.

Kenny

That's awesome Carole.

MarkS

The Ha looks good Carole but the colouring has indeed gone very strange.

I guess you were shooting the colour from home.  It will be very difficult to get good gradient free and noise free colour from a light polluted area.

Carole

Thanks Kenny,

QuoteIt will be very difficult to get good gradient free and noise free colour from a light polluted area.
Yes, fighting a losing battle from Bromley, so annoying.

Carole

Carole

As a point of interest, I decided to combine the Ha data with my DSLR image from 2011.

This is the original DSLR image:

and this is the result of combining that with my recent Ha.
I am thinking it would be better to leave RGB with filters to a dark site and stick to DSLR for RGB data from home.

Carole