• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Super Moon....... (Rant) ;)

Started by Mac, May 29, 2021, 09:15:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

As far as i was aware, having studied astronomy since i was 7,
the super moon was always the full moon which was closest to the earth, and there was only one per year,
12 full moons occasionally a 13th all different distances from the earth, only one can be the closest and only one can be the farthest.

why all of a sudden do we now have multiple super moons which have these stupid names, oh its going to be the super green farmers market left leg moon or the dark inside retro tree moon were probably  going to get the Kardashian lip gloss injection moon soon.

I know we have a blue moon which is the 2nd full moon in the month and the harvest moon, which is obviously the one closes to the harvest,
cant remember if a blood moon was just coined by the media or has always been around.
but why all of a sudden is the media interested in making up all these names.

Am i just getting old?

any yes answers will be dealt with. :cheesy:

Mac.

doug

I must agree with you, Mac, all these seemingly new names are making all the full moons seem ridiculous .... but still, having been interested in astronomy since the age of eight, which is now 77 years, it gets silly!! Who am I to criticize, anyway???

Keep your eyes on the skies, people. Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Carole

I think it's all a load of (DELETED WORD) a full Moon is a full Moon - period.  The only time it is different is when it is eclipsed by the Earth.  Can anyone honestly tell that the Moon is a minuscule bigger at perigee? 

Gets on my nerves too, especially when Joe Public try to ask me what's different about it and I also get annoyed when the media make a fuss about nothing. 

Quoteblue moon which is the 2nd full moon in the month
Why blue?  Why can't it just be a 2nd full Moon.

Think I am with you there Mac.

Carole