• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Storm Ciara

Started by MarkS, Feb 09, 2020, 01:00:59

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

I concluded the much hyped storm Ciara is not severe enough to require the storm straps:

My threshold is 80mph gusts.  I hope I'm not wrong because it makes a mess of the garden ...

Mark

ApophisAstros

Hope you are safe n sound,
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

I hope you are right, are you not going to use them?

Carole

Rick

When it blew through here on Saturday night it managed to open the (supposedly locked) summer-house doors, but I don't think it's done much more. Havn't had a chance to have a good look yet, though, as we only just got home after a weekend away.

Carole

Seems to be OK here, a few fences down in nearby properties, but some of the damage on the News is incredible. 

Side of a B&B collapsed in a river
Trees fallen on cars and one man killed by a falling tree
A car in Brentford (I think it was) in Essex, collapsed into a sink hole as it was being driven.

Carole 

MarkS

No damage here except a few fallen trees in the neighbourhood.

I judiciously removed a few fence panels and stored them away safely.  There must have been a fierce gust at some point because a solid wooden garden bench was blown over.

Mark

Carole

Glad everything was OK Mark I had visions of your obsy roof coming off again.  Are the storm straps so difficult to put on that you decided not to bother?

Carole

The Thing

We've had no damage but teh wind and rain has been fierce. Our biggest proble, is the drive gates, which are motorised, blow open which is a potential problem with the dog. I am now intending to fit a solenoid bolt, do I go for the manufacturers version at E300 or the ebay version at £12.95. I think a couple of ebay jobbies may be on order shortly.

Rick

Quote from: The Thing on Feb 13, 2020, 09:07:03solenoid bolt
Make sure they only need power to change state. Not great if they need power to stay open (or closed). (A friend had some "fun" with relays that wouldn't stay switched...)

The Thing

The sort on planning on getting wire into the flashing light so when its active there is 12v available, the bolt is withdrawn. When the gate is fully open or closed the light is off, no power, bolt extended by the spring. Simples. Probably.

NoelC

Sounds good, but I found my solenoid bolt wouldn't close properly on a 10' gate due to shrinkage and the gate rising and falling with the humidity.  I rely on the ram only.  Funnily enough I had to replace the ram just before Ciara hit - nice new ram, no problem in closing even with the wind (and it doesn't/ can't blow open once the ram is extended), whereas the old one wouldn't close in the wind.  But they aren't cheap.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Engine-automation-door-swing-GENIUS-EURO-BAT-400-right-right-230V-00058K0140/163291086892?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Noel
PS. Very sorry to see your roof in the tree Mark!  Happy to say little damage here despite wind.
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

MarkS

Another bout of wet and windy weather this weekend ...

Mark

Carole

Yes, I guess we have to count ourselves lucky down here though, all those poor people in Yorkshire keep getting flooded and the west seems to get a lot of bad weather when we don't. 

Carole

The Thing

Thanks for that Noel. The gates are aluminium and have concrete foundations, no shrinkage etc! The arm type motor units installed by the fitters don't hold the gate shut so we use very hefty rubber bands (cut truck inner tube) to hold yhrbgates together and bucket of stones if the gusts are really bad. So I'm looking for a solution but it'll have to do for the next tempest.

Rick

Ventured into Stroud earlier.  It was a mite wet and windy.  The road home along the top from Selsley Common past Coaley Peak to Uley was awash in places, and where there were gaps in the trees the strength of the wind was very evident. Here at home we're on the sheltered side of Stinchcombe Hill, and we've only seen gusts a bit over 20 knots so far...