• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Winter Doldrums

Started by Carole, Nov 29, 2019, 14:31:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

Quote from: MarkS on Dec 02, 2019, 09:23:02Next year I need to have the same procedure on my right hand.
Ouch! Hope you recover from the recent surgery quickly, and that the next lot goes well, too.

Carole

Pretty rough Mark, I hope it goes well this time and does the trick.  Maybe on this occasion, you could resort to processing data you did not capture albeit with one hand maybe.  Ian King and First Light Optics are putting an observatory somewhere dark with some fine kit, and making the data free to those on SGL -  you are member on there maybe you have seen the thread.   

Normally I would not entertain doing that, but since it is free, I might give it a go if only to see the difference between what we achieve here, and what we could achieve in a really dark location with nice kit.  I certainly won't be posting any images up as my own images afterwards though.

Quotedoctor said it is something that only men usually get.
Not correct, my mum got it, probably more common in men because they do more manual work with their hands.

Carole

Roberto

Quote from: MarkS on Dec 02, 2019, 09:23:02

That's exactly how it starts.  It may or may not develop into a string of lumps that begin to contract the finger inwards.  It is more common in men than women.  My own case is particularly aggressive - it started at a relatively young age (before I reached 50) and I've already had surgery on the same hand.  But the problem returned.  Plus, both hands are now affected.  That's the reason I've been given the full depth skin graft this time - it minimises the risk of recurrence.  But the recovery period is much longer.

Next year I need to have the same procedure on my right hand.

Mark

Mark I am sorry to hear about this.  Hope you get well soon.

Roberto

Fay

thats a nuiscance that is is such a long procedure. do you know the name of it or why it happens?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Quotedo you know the name of it or why it happens?

QuoteDupuytren's Contracture

MarkS

Quote from: Fay
thats a nuiscance that is is such a long procedure. do you know the name of it or why it happens?

Dupuytren's disease may or may not lead to a finger contracture.  The treatment depends on a number of factors.  The least invasive treatment is a simple injection into the lumps/cords to dissolve them.   Last time I had them surgically removed.  This time I needed the full depth skin grafts.

Mark