• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

How to make a screen shot on laptop.

Started by doug, Oct 27, 2019, 08:09:18

Previous topic - Next topic

doug

I can`t remember how to create a screen shot on my laptop, can anybody help please? I need to put a map on an email from Google Earth; Iv`e tried holding down ctrl and pressing prt sc... all to no avail. I must be doing something wrong but don`t know what.

Help...... Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Carole

Print screen, but you will also capture everything else on the screen. 

Carole

doug

Iv`e done the print screen bit, but I can`t find where it went. Which folder or programme ... I haven`t got a clue.

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Carole

It doesn't go anywhere, it's on your clip board, you just need to paste it into your E Mail.

If you had some sort of picture editing software, you could paste it into that and then crop off the bits you don't need around the edge, but you probably don't have any software like that.

Carole

ApophisAstros

press "windows" key (3 from left on bottom at the SAME time as "PRT SC " key and it saves the screen to Pictures Directory

HTH
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Didn't know that, never seen screenshots in my directories, don;t even know where to find it.  Just had a look and can't see it anywhere.

Anyway irrelevant to me as my screen shots always get copied into Photoshop and trimmed.

Carole

RobertM

Either control key plus the prtsc or shift key plus prtsc buttons depending whether you want the whole screen or 'in focus' window copied to the clipboard.

Robert

The Thing

Ctrl-Shift-Prtscr captures the window with focus to the clipboard. didn't know about the winkey option, quite neat but very proprietary.

ApophisAstros

Quote from: Carole on Oct 27, 2019, 12:08:55
Didn't know that, never seen screenshots in my directories, don;t even know where to find it.  Just had a look and can't see it anywhere.

Anyway irrelevant to me as my screen shots always get copied into Photoshop and trimmed.

Carole
in  "pictures" in "This Computer" links ,left of my screenshot.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

NoelC

Doug
Snipping tool is very useful; comes with Windows 7
You can find it in the tools and useful bits of windows, you may need to run windows setup (programmes in control panel) and add bits in.
To see if it's loaded, press windows + R (bring up a run window) and type:snippingtool and hit enter.
Swapped telescopes for armchair.