• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Apollo 11 ~ Fantastic Film

Started by Hugh, Jul 11, 2019, 22:01:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugh

I have just got back from seeing the 'documentary' film 'Apollo 11' now available in cinemas.

What a stunner of a film!  If you are interested in any way about the Moon landing then this is NOT TO BE MISSED!

I saw it at Bluewater showcase cinema and I know that it is still showing next week, so you have not missed it if you want to see it.  There is no commentary other than that which accompanies the section of film stretching over the 8 days of the journey.  Seen on the big screen, some of the action which you might be familiar with (although a lot is apparently unseen before) comes across in stunning detail.  The few minutes showing the power of the Saturn rocket on lift off and the final descent onto the Moon's surface are worth the visit on their own.

Enjoy!

Hugh

MarkS

Quote from: Hugh
I have just got back from seeing the 'documentary' film 'Apollo 11' now available in cinemas.

What a stunner of a film!  If you are interested in any way about the Moon landing then this is NOT TO BE MISSED!

I saw it at Bluewater showcase cinema and I know that it is still showing next week, so you have not missed it if you want to see it.  There is no commentary other than that which accompanies the section of film stretching over the 8 days of the journey.  Seen on the big screen, some of the action which you might be familiar with (although a lot is apparently unseen before) comes across in stunning detail.  The few minutes showing the power of the Saturn rocket on lift off and the final descent onto the Moon's surface are worth the visit on their own.

I saw it a couple of weeks ago on IMAX.  One word summary: stunning! 
It's a brilliant depiction of the mission from start to finish.  Much of the footage I had never seen before and is very high quality.
The tension at some moments (launch, burns, lunar landing, lunar take-off, docking, re-entry) is truly palpable and it really brings home the amazing (but very risky) achievement this was.

Mark

Hugh

PS - A shorter 48 minute version is apparently available at the Science Museum IMAX through the summer.

Hugh

Carole

I presume this is different to what they showed on TV last night then?

Carole

Hugh

Hi Carole

Yes, whilst the TV programme was a dramatic reconstruction (albeit using the actual words used), this is quite a lot of never before seen actual footage of the whole programme over the Apollo 11 event ~ a sort of 'fly on the wall' footage.  The clarity of that footage, no doubt greatly enhanced in effect by the large screen and digital sound, gave the film a quite exceptional drama.  As I indicated in my earlier message, the power of the launch sequence, for instance, after watching the Saturn rocket standing on the launch pad being prepared and then the astronauts being taken out and strapped in, then the count down, just left me with an open mouth!  My son (who is now 46) was with me and I just looked across at him and he mouthed, "Wow"!

Similarly, the drama of the actual landing really comes through.  It only took just about 4 minutes (much shorter than I thought) and the tension drama of the depleting time available, 1202 and 1201 alarms and the fact that Armstrong took manual control of something that he had never actually flown before, along with the cool announcements of Aldrin, really bring home what a fantastic bit of flying (you know what I mean) this was and the bravery of the crew.

Jim Mehta saw it last night as well and he texted me one word ~ "Brilliant"!

OK ~ I'm a Moon landing junkie but to me this is a 'must see' film for any space fan.  I did flag this up at the last society meeting.

YouTube trailer link ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjXnhcdOmcg.

Hugh

ApophisAstros

Just ordered the Blu Ray from amazon, cant wait.
Roger

PS WoW!!!! :abducted:
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.