• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Comet 46P Wirtanen

Started by doug, Dec 15, 2018, 23:04:08

Previous topic - Next topic

doug

Have just spotted comet 46P Wirtanen using Rose's Canon binoculars. Using the Pleades as the center of a clock, go to forty minutes past the hour and it's roughly there. 

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Roy

We saw it on the night of the Gemonids meteor shower, Sue found the comet easily but it took me quite a while to spot it as it was larger and more diffuse than I had imaged based on the photographs on the Internet; so looking for a good clear night over the next week or so to try and image it. Also whilst looking for the comet I saw probably the best meteor I've ever seen, so along with a good view of M42 - it was quite a night.

Roy

The Thing

Good catch. I viewed the comet through my 80x20 binos while I was imaging it and it really is quite diffuse. Apparently the tail has been facing away from us but as the comet swings round the sun it may come into view.

The Thing

My bad, its already moving out so its show is over for this apparition.

ApophisAstros

just watching "Armaggedon" on tv , food for thought with all these objects flying around the solar system , two quotes that ram it home"it happened once and it will happen again", and "Global killer".
Happy Christmas to all.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.