• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Jupiter Thur 17 March

Started by MarkS, Mar 17, 2016, 21:26:26

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Jupiter is looking quite good tonight - seeing is reasonable as well  ;)

There seems to be a shadow passing across right now (9:25pm) - Calisto apparently.

Mark

RobertM

The shadow happens to be clouds here :(

I hope you manage to get something.

Robert

MarkS

A very quick process of some of the data. Imaging Source DBK21 camera with 2x Barlow on Celestron C11.

500 frames shot at 15 frames/sec stacked using AutoStakkert.  Deconvolved using my own software.

I also have some data showing the red spot shot at 2pm this morning just before the clouds came over.

Mark

The Thing

Your Jupiter is looking excellent. What percentage of frames were keepers?

Great to see you back on the planet trail, get that technique honed, Mars will be at it's best at the end of May and Saturn will follow in early June.

Seeing was excellent here, will be posting something later! I'd like to have a go with your deconvolution software - is it something you could share?

Carole

Another fine Jupiter Mark.  Well done.

Carole

MarkS

Thanks Duncan, Carole.

I kept 50% of 1000 frames.  I'm looking forward to a good Mars season this year - a close opposition  ;)

Yes - you can have a copy of DCON - in fact I'm sure you took a copy at a DSC when I demonstrated it.  I'll put together a tutorial because it has a few quirks and foibles.  But it allows you to do a few things I've never seen in any other software.

Mark

MarkS

Conditions deteriorated in the early hours of Friday morning but I still managed to get a reasonable image just before the clouds came in.

Again this is 500 frames at 15frames/sec.  DBK21AU04 on Celstron C11 with 2x Barlow.

Mark

P.S. Rick - is it possible to move this thread to Astrophotography?

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

I've put my first image through the colour matrix processing stage (referred to in this thread http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=10688.0).
I used the colour matrix for the Sony A7S, which probably isn't correct but maybe is not too far off.  I need to image a colour chart with the DBK21Au04 then I can generate a colour matrix specific to that camera.  Anyway, here is the result:

I rotated it as well because seeing Duncan's version made me realise I flipped mine left-right instead of up-down. It now has a consistent orientation to my red spot image.

Mark

P.S. Thanks Rick, for moving this thread to astrophotography.

Carole

Looking good.  I wonder whether you might be able to sharpen the image a little to bring out some of the detail.

Carole

The Thing

Quote from: MarkS on Mar 20, 2016, 00:16:48
I've put my first image through the colour matrix processing stage (referred to in this thread http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=10688.0).
I used the colour matrix for the Sony A7S, which probably isn't correct but maybe is not too far off.  I need to image a colour chart with the DBK21Au04 then I can generate a colour matrix specific to that camera.

The colour looks very nice using that method, more subtle. I am balancing the histogram RGB channels when I capture at the moment but that sort of assumes that overall Jupiter is white. Probably not. However it's a starting point.

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
Looking good.  I wonder whether you might be able to sharpen the image a little to bring out some of the detail.

It's already sharpened as much as I dare: it already has too much noise.

Quote from: The Thing
The colour looks very nice using that method, more subtle. I am balancing the histogram RGB channels when I capture at the moment but that sort of assumes that overall Jupiter is white. Probably not. However it's a starting point.

I do more or less the same thing.  The colour matrix has to be applied to white balanced data. The only problem with the colour matrix is that it does increase noise quite significantly. 

Mark

Fay

I like the softer look, I think too much sharpening would make it look too harsh
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

When I do sharpening I don't necessarily sharpen the whole image, I just do a selective sharpening so only bits get sharpened.

Carole

MarkS

This one has 1500 frames stacked:

DBK21AU04 on Celestron C11 with x2 Barlow at 15 frames/sec.

Mark