• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Kelling Heath in September

Started by Carole, Jul 14, 2014, 23:18:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Who's going to Kelling and where are you pitched?

I know Fay has hired a caravan and I have a Holiday Home for 3 nights plus a pitch for the kit - Pitch number T302, which I booked almost a year ago before I knew I was going to get a Campervan.  If the weather is good I will go up earlier in the week and sleep in the van prior to that.    

I would have cancelled the holiday home once I got the van except I have some-one sharing it with me.

Carole

MarkS

I'm going - I'm somewhere in the usual red field - under a tree I think :(

Mark

Mike

We won't be there. We'll be on the Isle of Skye in September. Hopefully enjoying some great aurora displays under inky black skies.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Roy

Sue and I are going, we're on pitch T311.

Roy

Carole

I am planning to go on Monday if the weather looks good and will stay for a whole week.

I have topped up my dongle so hopefully will be on line. 

See you all there. 

Carole

ApophisAstros

booked in fri courtesy of robertm not able to go,option of going thurs depending on weather conditions
looking forward as first time at such an event..

roger
Quotewatch the skies  :o :o :o :o :o
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

ApophisAstros

look like thurs night is the only clear night according to the met office forecast so thurs it is.
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

I am there now, arrived yesterday afternoon.  Sky was clear for a while but only managed 2 x 20min subs before it clouded up.  It didn't help that some moron arrived about 10.30 car lights blazing and pitched opposite me.  Several of us duly tackled him and would you believe it he's an astronomer but says "the Star party doesn't start until Thursday".  No apologies or anything.  OK so the official party doesn't start until then but the whole field is reserved for astronomers for the whole week.  He then proceeded to put up his tent with a bright orange light!!!!  As you can imagine there was a lot of swearing going on.  :! :!

So he's not made himself popular for the star party.

Last part of the journey from Swaffham to Kelling seems to take forever, but it took even longer yesterday as I got stuck behind not one but 4 separate farm lorries/trackers doing 25 mph.   :!

Wireless dongle (3) and mobile if very intermittent, so currently using the Wifi in the Bar.   :cheesy: :cheesy:

See you all later

Carole

mickw

He arrived early in the week so he wouldn't upset the proper astronomers at the STAR PARTY  :roll:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

Carole your first argument of the year!

last year it was Canongate and year before noisegate, which was very entertaining! :lol:

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
would you believe it he's an astronomer but says "the Star party doesn't start until Thursday".  No apologies or anything. 

Unbelievable how inconsiderate some people can be.  Difficult to imagine such a reaction from a so-called astronomer.  I've had better reactions from people in a dark public car park when I've explained I'm astro-imaging.

Last night was excellent here at home with SQM 21.1 quality sky until 3:30am.  Very misty and damp in the valley though - Tenterden was invisible.

Mark

Fay

well perhaps they may have normal campers there early in the week and it does not officially begin until a bit later in the week

MarkS

Quote from: Fay
well perhaps they may have normal campers there early in the week

This one didn't sound normal!

Fay

That road is murder if you get behind someone, Carole, no where to overtake