• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Wonderful evening with a sting in the tail

Started by Carole, Oct 26, 2009, 08:56:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Thanks Mark,

I'll see if I can give all that a "go" when my visitors have gone. I think colour stretching was one of the tools I used (must keep a note of these things).

I realise there is a lot of noise in this image, but hopefully once I manage to do longer subs and more of them this will be less of a problem.  
QuoteNoise Filter in Photoshop Elements 3.0 be be excellent - it has 3 sliders for "Strength", "Preserve Details" and "Reduce Colour Noise". 
I don't recognise any of these from the full version of photoshop that I have.  I am wondering whether I have photoshop elements somewhere, must have a look.

Thanks for all your help.

Carole

Mac

QuoteI don't recognise any of these from the full version of photoshop that I have.  I am wondering whether I have photoshop elements somewhere, must have a look.

Carol, the photshop elements, is a cut down version of the full package,
These sliders in Elements are there for, say, normal people to use.

I.e people with little experience of photo editing, they take out all the manual HARD work.
You can do exactly the same in photoshop, except, it takes a lot longer as you dont have the preset sliders
and you have to do it manually, although, the results should allow for better results as you can tweek more.

If i were you i'd do the following.

1) Load a normal picture, i.e. not an astro one. into photoshop. make sure its a copy!!!!!
2) Play with each effect in photoshop to see exactly what it does. (Its easier to see the subtle results on a normall photos)
3) When your doing filters. DONT use the filters from the filters menu as this will apply the filter but wont allow you an easy way to undo the effect.
4) When you apply your filter do it from the bottom of the layers box. At the bottom you have a circle which is half black and half white.
    This gives you all the filters but adds them as layers. If you dont want the effect you just untick the filter layer. and its easier to change the setting for the filter as well.
    that way you can see the effects of multiple filters.

Mac.

Carole

Hi Mac,

Have been out of action for a couple of days as I had visitors.  That's a useful tip.
Thanks
Carole