• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Alternative to an LX200gps 12" Telescope

Started by Maximus, Apr 30, 2004, 06:07:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Could anyone help please.
If somebody has any ideas on which Telescope would be better to buy than an LX200gps 12".
For ALL general astronomy use as this will be my only telescope.
I do want nice clear images as well as being able to see Nebulae and Galaxies.
Advise would be much appreciated. :???:

Whitters

12" LX200, very nice. My only advice is to ensure you are able to lift the scope onto the mount, it will be quite heavy. Sounds daft but I used to live in a first floor flat, when you have to cary an 8" SCT and mount down stairs lock the door set it up only for it to cloud up, my most often used instrument was a pair of 7x50 binoculars. However now all I have to do is cary it out the back door I observe nearly every clear night.

Secondly, what is your main intrest, or are you still exploring? An SCT is a good scope for general astronomy, f10 is slow enough to give high enough magnification of the Mon and Planets, but fast enough to use it as a prime focus deep sky imaging scope. And 12" very nice size, but make sure you can handle the scope so it won't just sit collecting dust.

Ian

unfortunately, that question has as many answers as the number of people that you ask. Where do you live? The best response would be to come and see a variety of scopes in action and make a decision then. It's not sensible to make a purchasing decision based solely on the advertising literature, price or even recommendation.

Come to an observing session, test drive, then make a decision.

Interesting homepage, by the way.

Maximus

Hi again thanks for the replies.
I live in West Wales, which is probably a million miles from everyone else.
I would be interested in coming to have a look through various Telescopes, maybe somes Dobs and Apo Refractors.
I have access to Meade Telescopes but I would like to make sure that what Telescope I end up having suits me.