• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Soul Nebula work in progress

Started by MarkS, Sep 17, 2012, 05:58:37

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

MarkS

Grabbed another 5 hours last night.  SQM at High Halden was only 20.9 instead of Kelling's 21.3 or 21.38  :-(

However, looking at the subs, the difference is actually fairly marginal in terms of background noise levels. 

MarkS

Just when I thought I had finished the processing, I find some hot pixels.  So I need to do another full re-process.  Buit apart from the hot pixels, I'm pretty happy with this.

180 x 5min at ISO 800 (15 hours in total over 3 nights - 2 at Kelling, 1 at home). 
Modified Canon 350D on Tak Epsilon 180ED at F2.8 
No filters except the IR/UV rejection filter.

Larger version here:
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2012/soul14092012v2.jpg

Mark

Fay

Very nice Mark, love the star colours, what a marathon!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

superb Mark (as usual) - still waiting for the book announcement... John

Carole

Absolutely gorgeous Mark.
I love your star colours, I can never seem to get decent star colours, and I wonder whether it is because I use DSS and you use Iris. 

Carole

Mike

Lovely image Mark. Definitely a calendar contender!!

It is obvious from my own experiences with the DSLR, particularly on a smaller aperture than you have, that what you say about getting as many hours as possible exposure certainly applies. They may be easier in some respects than a cooled CCD camera to use but at the same time you need significantly greater exposure times to get the same results. Oh how I miss my SXV-H9.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan