• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Imaging laptop - FN key- computer thinks it is on all the time

Started by Fay, Sep 27, 2011, 15:28:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Had a crisis, today with imaging Laptop. Keys on the left do not work only the ones on the right with the grey numbers on.

Toshiba said I need a new keyboard,  they went thru various tests.

Went to PC world. Got a really good service off this chap. He did loads of tests & went into the depths. The conclusion was, that the computer thinks FN key   is on all the time. Also various keys have different functions now, eg the A acts as a caps lock key, and F10 11  and 12, perform each others functions.

He tried to disable the FN key, but could not & so I now have a wireless keyboard.

He agreed that I need a new keyboard, but I have the wireless one as an emergency, what with some clear nights coming up, i was in a panic!!!!

Does anyone know of a way to sort it, or does a new keyboard sound the right path? If so, where would the best place be to buy the correct on, Toshiba or elsewhere?

Thanks

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

To be honest, once keys start sticking it's usually a downhill spiral - a beer bath usually makes it worse  :cry:

Toshiba will probably charge you the earth for a keyboard - this is where I get keyboards after a nasty accident  :oops:

http://www.laptopexpress.com/products.asp?category=Toshiba%20Parts&subcategory=Toshiba%20Keyboard&product=Toshiba%20keyboard%20K000027970

This should be the one for your laptop and I've found links to various methods of repair - it's not hard
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rocket Pooch

Pull the key off and take the food out from underneath it!

Then put the key back on.

PhilB

Could try blasting it with some air duster. But be careful, laptop keys are held on by tiny lugs. Break these and the keyboards had it.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Fay

well I got a new keyboard from a company that Mick recommended & he put it in for me, while at Mark's, so now all ok.

My desktop was really getting hot & the fan was in overdrive, so I got a can or air, at PC World, £15!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoyed blasting the inside of the cpu, in the garden though.

JohnP

blimey Fay - £15 for compressed Air... rip off or what...!!!! You could almost buy a compressor for that price (Think I paid £65) then you'd have limitless supplies....

JohnP

Fay thinking about it more you could have just given John Baked Beans on Toast for his lunch & you could guarantee at least an hours worth (more if your name is Paul) of high pressure warm air (not sure about purity though...)  :roll:

Fay

Well I know, but I was in immediate mood!! Had to be done NOW!!! Matt has diving compressed air, so could have blown all the innards up the garden!!!!!

RobertM