• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Comet Lulin

Started by Fay, Mar 08, 2009, 08:49:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

This was taken with the Canon, ED80, cls filter, 17x120secs.
I am not too happy with this. I stacked it in DSS, which has a comet aligning facility, but it does not work too well, you get fuzzy trails on the stars, where the program has tried to freeze their position. I layered in PS but there is a lot of trailing to process out & I decided, it makes a dishonest image when too much has to be done.

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Well done Fay

Carole

RobertM

Very nice image Fay.  How did you keep the comet still ?

Fay

Well the nucleus was a bit elongated with movement. I stacked with DSS concentrating on the comet, & then  layered it with the original image.
Stacking in DSS, was supposed to freeze the stars but what it does is make a lot of dull trails below the stars, it is not a very good option. I did then stack, on the comet nucleus,  in Astroart, but the result was a very low luminance comet with stars that were streaked.

With a Maxim stack, the computer nearly ran out of memory & it was very slow & had to be aborted.

DSLR images are a lot different to ccd images, to do.   
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Robert - DSS has a comet stack feature which does a two part stack.. It stacks on stars & then comet nucleus & then overlays... However, It's got problems & leaves streaks (you can see these in Fay's images)

John

RobertM

Hi John,  Yes I tried to use DSS, the result was far from what I was expecting i.e. rubbish.  Can't complain thought as it is free...