• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Nebulosity for stacking

Started by Carole, Nov 02, 2012, 10:14:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

As you know I have been dissatisfied for some time with how DSS doesn't seem to handle my Flats and Bias properly and have been looking for an alternative.  

I think Maxim is too complex for me at this stage, though I am getting there slowly, so I took a look at Nebulosity and after a new learning curve I think I am going to give this a try.

It has been a good lesson in how calibration actually works as DSS just does it all for you and you don't need to know, so it's given me a much better understanding.  

Just wondered who else uses it and what your impression is of it for calibration and stacking.
Also any tips?

Carole

Carole

I've done a bit of googling and lots of people seem to think Nebulosity is better than DSS.

I have now re-stacked my Butterfly Nebula - the one where I had all those difficulties back a couple of months ago, where I had to leave out the BIAS subs otherwise I got horrible banding and colour and stacked it in Nebulosity using BIAS, Darks & Flats and it's come out fine.

I am now going to have a "go" at a few other images where dust bunnies being left and horizontal banding had been a problem.

So far I think this is a bit improvement in results.  

No-one has replied to say they use Nebulosity for stacking, so I assume no-one else does.  

Carole