• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

That flashing thingy we saw at DSC.

Started by Ian, Aug 24, 2005, 13:42:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

just remembered, I had a look at Heavens Above just after DSC and apparently a flypass of a Cosmos 1033 was predicted within a minute of so of us sighting our UFO. I think we would have been less impressed if we'd seen it in Orpington, the flashing would have been much less impressive in our suburban skies.

I am still getting nightmares after observing the four moons of Headcorn, but as it's an important astronomical observation I think we should put in on the front page of the OAS website. I like to share my nightmares...

Mike

Ian,

Can you send a copy of that pic to me please? I am editing a short movie from the camcorder footage along with some stills to show at tomorrows meeting. It may make an intersting end to the film ;)

Cheers
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

****! literally. It's still on the camera. I can get it over to you at about 6pm if I get out of work at a good time. Is that going to be too late for the meeting?

Mike

I might have enough time to edit it in somewhere and re-render the movie as I haven't burnt the disc yet.

Do you know why that Cosmos satellite was flashing twice then a pause then flashing twice, etc. ? I suppose looking at a picture of it (if any can be found) would help to determine where it's solar panels are configured.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

Sorry, it was Cosmos 1300. This is a Tselina-D Soviet Military Intelligence Satellite. It was launched on 24th August 1981 on a cool sounding Tsyklon-3 launcher.

I found an observing report on Google regarding this satellite, http://satobs.org/seesat/Dec-2000/0249.html which fits our observation except the direction of travel of the satellite. I'm sure we saw it heading North... which is nice, coz so does Heavens Above. That observation records a brightness range between 4.5 and -0.

The satellite is a very unusual shape, and as such it's not surprising it flares irregularly.