• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Comet C/2007 N3 Lulin on Sat 28 Feb

Started by MarkS, Mar 18, 2009, 06:33:58

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

First light with my newly acquired Skywatcher ED80 (thanks Robert!) using the Canon EOS 350D at F7.5  - I shot this data just a few hours before leaving on holiday.

150 images of 30sec shot during a 90 minute period. Sigma stacked on the comet head to enhance comet against star background.  No filters were used, which meant that removing the background gradient was a nightmare.  The tail still gets lost in a gradient at the bottom left.  This is almost the whole frame but binned down by a factor of 5 to reduce noise.

Mark

RobertM

Very nice Mark, the comet is quite faint now so that's a very good capture.

Rocket Pooch

Very good, how are you finding the ED80?  Do you get any field curvature on the frame.

MarkS

Quote from: Space Dog
Very good, how are you finding the ED80?  Do you get any field curvature on the frame.

Yes, there is noticeable field curvature when using the Canon with it.  I'm going to try some experiments with my existing Celestron Reducer/Flattener to see if I can flatten the field by finding an optimum flattener to CCD distance.  I have just taken delivery of a set of spacing rings.

Mark

Fay

Well done, Mark, as usual you always get your man!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

QuoteWell done, Mark, as usual you always get your man!

Fay - what do you mean......!!!!!

Great image by the way Mark.

John

Mike

Nice image Mark. You did well to get it so late into March.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Thanks for the comments.  Just to clarify, I shot the data at the end of Feb - not last night!

Hence the title of the thread:  "Re: Comet C/2007 N3 Lulin on Sat 28 Feb"

Mark

Fay

John, what I mean is, Mark is always successful in  what he does!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Ian

particularly if he's got his eye on a particular man? Is that right Fay?

Congrats on the image Mark, nice one mate. Does this mean you're not going to be lugging the C11 to DSC anymore?

MarkS

Quote from: Ian
Does this mean you're not going to be lugging the C11 to DSC anymore?

Not at all!   It's horses for courses.  The C11 is a terrific scope for close-up high magnification work.  But from time to time it's good to do some wide-field stuff.  Hence the ED80.

Mark