• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

The Rosette Star Cluster NGC2244 and the Rosette Nebula NGC2237

Started by Whitters, Feb 21, 2008, 23:30:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitters

NGC2237 & NGC2244  60 Minutes - MX916 - WO110 - Astronomic IRBlock

Fay

Paul I really like this image. Really nice & focused. I have only just seen it.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

Yes it's the first time I've seen it too.  A really lovely image, looks almost 3d with the foreground stars.

Just a question in passing really but why have the brighter stars got what looks like a diffraction pattern ?

Thanks for bumping it Fay.

Rick

Quote from: RobertM on Apr 18, 2008, 11:46:06Just a question in passing really but why have the brighter stars got what looks like a diffraction pattern ?
It's a sign that the optics (and the viewing conditions) are excellent that you're only seeing them on the brightest stars.

If you want to determine what imperfections are present in a system, give it a very short high  intensity spike, and see what comes out at the other end. For an optical system a point source is what you want. Stars, being so far away, make good point sources. The brighter the point source, the more of the imperfections and the effects of plain old physics you'll see. So the bright stars are showing up things that the fainter stars aren't bright enough to reveal (because not enough light gets from them to the final detector via the off-axis paths...).

Fay

Paul, did you use a Ha filter? How long were the subs?

I'm jealous of your skies!!!!

Mike

Weird there is difraction spikes at all as it was done using a refractor.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

Thanks Rick I can understand that.  In this case then it's probable that there is some arrangement of three or six elements intruding into the light path.  I've seen that type of obstruction holding the objective lens in my guide scope.

Yes, I'm jealous too - must find a dark sky location or attend a DSC.  

Mike

It's possible it could be the arms holding the glass in place. If they intrude into the glass slightly that would be enough.

Whitters

Exactly right Mike, it is caused by the spacers holding the optics to the cell. I was surprised by them the first time I used the scope, but a quick exam of the front end of the scope gave the explanation. Except they don't so much protrude as change the transmission at the edge of the optice at the cell edge. See photo.

Ian

well you would go and buy cheapie mickey-mouse optics mate. Still, should be good for your teeth, says it's got fluoride in it. Or something.

Still, it's incredible the effect such a small detail has on the star images. Why don't you just use them tool things to add some more, disguise the real ones?

Actually, I don't think it's detrimental to the image at all.

Whitters

Fay, it was with six 10 minute subs with only the IR block Astronomiks filter, just to stop the bloat from IR light which would not be in the same focus point as the visible.

Whitters

And the scope was an e-bay bargain. It's always a bit of a sweat waiting for something like that to arrive though ;-)

Fay

Fay

Rocket Pooch

Whitters

Guiding OK, back knackered though , so a week and a half pf clear skies, down the drain :-(

Whitters

Hopefully the physio will let me carry stuff around again soon, This has made me think hard about setting up a permanent observatory in the garden.