• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M42 and Running Man 15th and 19th December (re-processed)

Started by Carole, Dec 19, 2011, 22:40:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Thanks Fay.  I know what you mean though Fay about it being a really difficult one to process, I think I have spent more time on this subject than any other and still not satisfied with it.

Carole

Carole

Just a further tweak.  I applied HP filter to selected areas of the image to define the detail a bit better.
I think I am done with this now unless any-one can suggest anything else I have not thought of:

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Fay

Sadly I will have to do it again, as I think I did not do a good job of the different layers last time
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Looking very good - it was certainly a worthwhile re-process. 

The HP filter has helped with definition but also brought up the noise.  See if you can do some kind of layer mix to restrict the HP to the brighter areas of the image.

Mark

Carole

Thanks Mark.

QuoteSee if you can do some kind of layer mix to restrict the HP to the brighter areas

Actually Mark, that's what I did.  The HP is only the detail in the nebulae.  I did it is layers and pasted the original reprocess over the HP one and then rubbed out the bits I wanted to show through, so none of the whispy bits coming away from the nebula have any HP on them.

The noise is from the reprocess before I did the HP.

Carole