• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Suggestions please - guide camera selection

Started by The Thing, Nov 02, 2013, 17:35:30

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

The better focused it is the more stars I will be able to choose from and the less susceptible to being lost in Beckenham where the sky seems to vary in transparency by the minute some nights. I suspect that the takeoff prism is well into the vignette despite being extended in as far as it will go and that the amount of light available is limited by the fact that its an SCT even if it is at f6.3. I don't have filters to worry about and surely they are behind the OAG or you will be guiding in each colour or Ha!

Mike

It is advisable to have slightly out of focus stars for guiding as it makes it easier for the software to find the centroid.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Quoteand surely they are behind the OAG or you will be guiding in each colour or Ha!

Obviously, but like I said my filters are not par focal so when I change focus for a particular filter it changes focus for the OAG. I have a refractor so both filters and oag are on focus tube...

The Thing

Quote from: Mike on Dec 02, 2013, 19:49:09
It is advisable to have slightly out of focus stars for guiding as it makes it easier for the software to find the centroid.
Yeah but you have to have stars showing up and I seem to pick targets where they start at mag 10 and less! If they are not pretty well focused they don't show up. They will always be a bit fuzzy due to the Meade high edge optical quality :!